Saturday, March 24, 2007

Lifehacker's Best Mac Apps - Part 1 of 3

It seems like every other day there is a post on Digg about the 10 best free Mac apps.

When I saw that such a list from Lifehacker made it on to Digg about a week ago, I was excited by the prospect of something that wasn't the usual fluff because I generally find Lifehacker's picks for these kinds of things to be spot-on. But, in a rare occurrence, I was disappointed with their selections — and thus, this series of blog posts.

My comments on their picks for positions 7-10 will come in a second post. We'll start with taking a look at what they picked for 1-6:

  1. Quicksilver icon

    Quicksilver

    OK, they got this one right. Absolutely.

    Quicksilver is the best thing since sliced bread, and then some. And, I concur with their inability to really describe Quicksilver. I didn't really "get it" either until I ran through the "QuickSilver - A Better OS X In Just 10 Minutes" tutorial. In 10 minutes I really did have a better OS X. I don't know that I'd agree that "QS has a steep learning curve" though. Once you start getting used to it, using it becomes extremely natural. The "steep"-ness is in radically changing all the built in training you have of how to conventionally find documents and launch & interact with applications.

  2. TextWrangler icon

    TextWrangler

    And here's where my preferences start differing from Lifehacker's.

    TextWrangler is a fine run-of-the-mill text editor. Back in the System 7 - OS 9 days of the Macintosh, I was an avid user of TextWrangler's predecessor, BBEdit Lite. Since then I found Vim, and, frankly, there's no going back for me. Ironically, my preference for Vim over TextWrangler centers on the exact same reasons I'm so wild about Quicksilver. The more I can keep my hands on the keyboard and avoid dialog boxes , the happier and more productive I am.

  3. SilverKeeper icon

    SilverKeeper

    For serious?

    SilverKeeper is a fine free alternative to SuperDuper I guess, but it's rsync all the way for me (or see a bit more user friend tutorial via engadget. or even Lifehacker's own treatment on rsync.) If the command line is too daunting, OS X users can always consider RsyncX.

  4. Adium icon

    Adium

    And we are agreeing again.

    Adium rocks. It's built on libgaim, the foundation of the Gaim Instant Messenger client, but has a UI that blows Gaim's away (and fits extremely nicely into the feel of OS X.) (Random aside: the very cool meebo uses libgaim too.)

  5. Handbrake icon

    Handbrake


    If backing up DVDs is something you do regularly, Handbrake is probably right up your alley.

    On the rare occasion I need to do something like this I simply use the "advanced output" option of VLC. (We'll get to VLC here in a minute...). Then once I have the MPEG content off of the DVD courtesy of VLC, I use ffmpeg to transcode it to whatever I need. Again, for those who find the command line daunting, there's a nice alternative: ffmpegX.

    So, Handbrake is a fine app, but (unlike VLC) it wouldn't make my top ten.

  6. iSquint icon

    iSquint

    My thoughts on this app are very similar to those on Handbrake.

    iSquint is another app I would only have very occasional use for and for which I'd much rather just use ffmpeg. It's a fine app, but it certainly wouldn't make my top ten.



Continue to Part 2...