Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Naxos - XSLT Processor Written in XSLT

The fact that I find this exciting reveals what an utter geek I am, but today I stumbled on Naxos, an XSLT 1.0 processor implemented in XSLT. Language compilers/interpreters implemented in their own language are nothing new of course, but it always has some "wow" factor.

As the Naxos web page states, Naxos is slow. But, it's encouraging that it does work:

~/Desktop/naxos$ xsltproc samples/country.xml 
Here are the countries I know about:
Australia
France
Germany
India
Ireland
Japan

~/Desktop/naxos$ xsltproc naxos.xsl samples/country.xml 
Here are the countries I know about:
Australia
France
Germany
India
Ireland
Japan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi kazoolist,

I am the developer of Naxos. I think you may be the only person who has run it under xsltproc. I'm astonished that it works, because I developed and tested Naxos entirely with Saxon.

Says something about the power of a well-implemented standard, I guess.