Friday, December 21, 2007

Candidates' Christmas Ads

...or, in the case of some candidates, "holiday" ads...

Let's begin:






It would be my preference that candidates who won't give a "straight talk" answer as to whether Jesus is his Lord and Savior" wouldn't draw crosses in their Christmas ads.






My favorite commentary on this ad comes from Ann Althouse:


I would have thought this was a parody attacking Hillary Clinton, but she's Hillary Clinton, and she approved of this message.

Isn't this like when you get presents from family members and you know they charged it on your credit card?


The left sure is getting hard to parody. And I'd rather not have Hillary use my credit card to buy my gifts... I also can't believe she used my favorite Christmas song... sigh.






Hmm. Well, at least this one is a little bit better:








To quote Bryan over at HotAir:


Dark lighting, a Christmas tree that’s all but invisible, indistinct background music, certainly no crosses or overt references to Christmas to be found anywhere in the ad so he won’t generate any conspiracy theories. When he ticks off the poverty stats and asks “Who will speak for them?” let’s just say that a silky millionaire trial lawyer isn’t the first person to come to my mind. The ad’s about as sterile and lame as a Christmas ad can get. It really isn’t a Christmas ad so much as an ad that happens to air around Christmas. It’s a flop.







Rich Lowry calls it "The Christmas Wedge Ad". I don't particularly care for Huckabee, but this might be the only ad of the bunch that I like. I'm sure the call to run the ad involved a political calculation, but I think Huckabee sincerely means his wish of "Merry Christmas". Shrewd plus sincere - an winning combination?






Except for the whole "we all have a stake in one another" (sounds way too much like "it takes a village"), this one was pretty good too. Kudos to Obama to include "Merry Christmas" at the danger of angering the secularists.




I don't think Fred or Mitt have release Christmas ads. Which, I think, for Mitt ("Mormons are Christians too!") is probably a negative.

If you are looking for more though, check out the "White House Christmas Spectacular (HT: HotAir).

1 comment:

Adam Brickley, aka "ElephantMan" said...

Hillary Clinton manages to make Christmas scary, John Edwards goes out of his way to give a dark, overly politicized message that doesn't match the holiday backdrop. Obama had the only decent ad on the Dem side. Meanwhile, all of the GOP candidates struck a nice holiday chord (even if they did plug themselves a litte).

All we need now is "Chrismas with the Kucinichs" or "Holiday Wishes from Mike Gravel."