- More good news about Iraq. Complete with pictures. Keywords: progress and impressive.
- The Bush stimulus program is an awful idea. Romney's also weighed in with his proposed plan. I wish he'd back up his tax cut proposals with spending cut proposals, but I do welcome this difference between his and Bush's:
[Romney's plan] centered on several permanent tax cuts…permanently reducing the rate for the lowest income tax bracket to 7.5 percent from 10 percent, retroactive to 2007. He also wants to eliminate Social Security payroll taxes for workers over 65 and eliminate capital gains and dividend taxes on households earning less than $200,000 a year. He also would permanently reduce the corporate tax rate to 20 percent from 35 percent over two years and allow businesses to depreciate the value of new equipment purchases faster.
President George W. Bush earlier on Friday called on Congress to enact a package of temporary tax cuts and other measures estimated to cost up to $150 billion.
- Do Democrats really want to return to the Cinton era? I can't even imagine what would happen if papers surfaced documenting the Bush administration had intent to "expose lifestyles, tactics and motives of [opponent] lobbyists" and "track personal information about interest group leaders, such as their home phone numbers, addresses, 'biographies, analysis of credibility in the media, and known relationships with Congresspeople.'"
- Meanwhile, Grassley's investigation continues to give me the heebeegeebees. I loathe the prosperity gospel movement. I think the prosperity gospel's message is wrong and that its theology is dangerous. But, these people pushing the prosperity gospel are still religious institutions that Congress has no business investigating.
- Finally, Iran: Still a threat.